Rates & Facilities


News & Gallery

Map & Directions

Contact us

“Old world Charm New World Comfort”

Clarendon Guest House

To contact us:

Phone: 045-933-1138

Cell: 082-4789582

Fax: 086-6416495

E-mail: clarendongh@telkomsa.net                                      

Text Box: History


Rev. M.T.R. Smith and Mrs. Smit


21 April, the orphanage was visited by non other than the Govenor General of the Union of South Africa, Lord Clarendon.  His lovely wife, Lady Clarendonaccompanied the Govender.  The memorial tablet to commemorate their visit is still visible at the Guest House. 

tn_Lord and Lady Clarendon visit.jpg (5601 bytes)tn_Lord and Lady Clarendon visit cropped.jpg (4216 bytes)

Close up picture of Lord Clarendon and Lady Clarendon.


the Orphanage of Ugie was registered, the biggest orphanage in the Eastern Cape

Until 1959, the orphanage housed 120 girls per year, thereafter, until 1962, the establishment was utilized to home boys.   March 1962, under the guidance of Rev. Solly Ozrovech, the new orphanage was completed, and all the children were relocated to the new orphanage. 




The orphanage name was changed to the M.T.R. Smith Childrens Haven, in honour of the Rev. Smith.


Sadly in June 1987 the children where moved to Port Elizabeth.

In September, the Gouws family started renovating this building into a guest house.  The old hostel was renovated to cater for 15 en-suite, self catering units. Eight fully equipped kitchens service these rooms.  The  Kitchen is still used and the Main Lounge has a cozy atmosphere and is used as a dining hall or for functions.


The building is restored to its prior glory with antique furnishing.  



The Gouws family


World War 1 was nearing the end of a brutal battle, while South Africa lost millions of inhabitants to the great flu.

12 orphaned children, whose parents died from the flu, was found by the Rev. M.T.R. Smith on farms to his parsonage.  These 12 children where the first children that started the Orphanage in Ugie, Eastern Cape.  In co-operation with the Government, Rev. Smith built Boarding houses for poor children who lived far from town.  These boarding houses assisted in facilitating their education.  Mrs. Smith, whom was the wife of Rev. Smith unveiled the memorial tablet of the building on 6 December 1924.